Thursday, July 02, 2009

storms!

hi all....
getting *that* time of year, folks, where "gaming" takes a very back seat to a Florida summer and anyone who lives in Florida knows what I mean!
while Lakeland gets 100 thunderstorm days a year, Tallahassee, where I live, gets about 85 thunderstorm days a year! That is DAYS, not number of storms and nearly every single ligthning stroke is "cloud to ground" I just saw a doozzee of one about an hour a go and there must have been 3000 lightning strokes with that one and 100 foot visibility. watch them lights flicker and the week before the official people tell us all that in our two counties there were over 6000 [!!] lightning strokes, during one storm and all of them were cloud to ground! trees, homes, zapped, there were several fires last week as houses burned after being struck!
does anyone here live in such a Zone?!
I once saw from a bus window lightning take out each and every power pole, in a shopping mall parking lot, 1,000,000 volts hitting every 150 feet, in about five minutes.
"they" tell me that around here there are 8 to 16 lightning hits PER square Kilometer every year!!
play games?!!
my window makes a good view!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/freestone/3671884372/http://www.flickr.com/photos/freestone/3660060128/

In the North, in around my upstate new york home, many of the lightnings were "cloud to cloud" harmless.
so probably I will watch the light show, instead of playing Oblivion, morrowind, etc, until fall, on many nights!
freestone

No comments:

Post a Comment