Wednesday, August 09, 2006

peaceful late afternoon from my window

peaceful late afternoon from my window
A peaceful summer afternoon, seen from my 5th floor window.
Note how clear the sky is, the subtropics, here in North florida, even when thewind is not coming off of the Gulf, often is free of the industrial haze that plagues the Northern states and Europe.
Of course the temperature is about 90 to 95 degrees, at this moment, but that is normal on any sunny day that the rain season has no rain, like of today.
Not a breath of wind stirring, when I later walked outside. That is common here, a feather would fall like a slow-moving brick.

Here I am, looking out of my 5th floor senior living facilities apartment, onto what looks to be a forest! What I am actually looking at, here, are the treetops over houses! There are probably 50 to 100 houses, from here to the horizen, all under those trees.
If I were to climb up to the 12th floor, the view would be very similar, only the main streets with their strip mall-shops, would break the solid green of the trees.

"subtropical rain forest" One of two such areas in the country, I read. The first is near Miami, florida, this area is in North Florida.
60+ inches of rain per year.

Uploaded by freestone on 9 Aug '06, 10.16am EDT.