Tuesday, January 24, 2006

who has the most games?

thanks everyone for answering this little "poll"!

[I asked this question, "WHO HAS THE MOST GAMES IN THEIR COLLECTION, COMPUTER OR CONSOLE", in the google usenet group, "comp.rpg".
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg/browse_thread/thread/583b63f5c9e210a8/4cfd32478da7cac6?lnk=arm&hl=en

I looked in the googlegroups search and yes i asked this question in 2001, about this time of year, 34 people replied

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg/browse_thread/thread/2ebdab7e27b669e/9f7f97a9b5ca43f2?q=who+has+the+most+games&rnum=1#9f7f97a9b5ca43f2

I found that there were many people who had 500...800...even approaching the 2400+
that someone has!



there are more systems today to buy for.
also there are some "avenues" that exist today for people to find and to buy old systems, like of ebay.

I heard just yeaterday, as i walked out of a E B store with four more games, that soon gamestop, who owns now Electronics Boutique, will "combine for real' the two stores, close one chain altogether.

then i read that gamestop itself is not doing too too good.
[the Day may come when stores like Best Buy will be the only storefronts that will sell games, and NO USED GAMES!
[rumor: the ps3 might have a chip in it where any game you buy can only be played *on* that ps3! once installed, that game can never play on any other ps3!!

*this* fuels, for me, s slight bit of "parinoia", that "I better git it now or when i want to play it, it will be Gone except for $80 on Ebay!


This here freestone "backs off" from his collection a moment to try to remember what I actually have.

dreamcast...10
snes... 1
n64.... 8
xbox... 40
ps1... 50
ps2.. 90
computer 1 40 [dos and old windows pre-directx]
computer 2 100 [plus or minus, not counting burned cds/floppies from the internet!]
--------
250 games, more or less!

[lets not talk about the 2 gigs of neverwinter modules on my pc! One of them, TORTURED HEARTS by basseman, advertises 100+ hours!!]

my goodness, I am nearly "last" on the List.

I *feel* like i have a lot of games as I live in an efficentcy apartment, basicly one room with a closet, very small, and a kitchen nook.
[Oh the wonders of Industial shelving!]

I live in a senior center with 161 other people, one or two people to a room/apt.
Got to be 62 to get in, many here are in their 80s. there are several here who go to play tennis at the tennis club, at 80 to 85 years old.
I "hear" that there is one lady who has a playstation and plays games, i do not know who she is. I did meet a lady who has a snes and she plays the puzzle type of games little Tetris or jewels.

I am getting ready to begin the Dragon Quest VIII on the ps2 and the Arx fatalis on the xbox.


I may well die of old age before i finish them all...

and often i do NOT finish a game, just like that Tsungui Atonement that i took off the ps2 just yeaterday, i could not win that final boos battle even at level 60, and it *was* apparent that i needed to be at level, say, 90, to beat him, which means hours and hours and hours and hours and hours just fighting 6 same monters over and over again! I had to take off Final fantasy 8 for the same reason.
But i play games for the Imaginational value, more than of winning! to experience worlds, to experience realities beyond the everyday. Thus i like "immersive" first and third person games best.
also amazing what a 27inch good tv with Component connections can do for games!
Must be even more Incredible to own a huge theater system.

I always liked the science fiction and fantasy stories as a kid, even.....

so...never ever too too old for games.....I am 64.
why one of the clerks at EBs, last month or so, told me that he knows of a 80 year old man who plays rpgs! he was a computer progammer during the 50s for one of those computers that needed a whole wing of a building just to sit there and run!

freestone