Thursday, March 31, 2005


http://www.grandin.com/


Animals in Transition
Temple Grandin

"Temple Grandin's insights are absolutely fascinating and ground breaking contributions in the field of animal awareness." - Alex Shoumatoff, Murder in the Rain Forest


Product Description:
[from amazon.com]

Temple Grandin's Animals in Translation speaks in the clear voice of a woman who emerged from the other side of autism, bringing with her an extraordinary message about how animals think and feel.

Temple's professional training as an animal scientist and her history as a person with autism have given her a perspective like that of no other expert in the field. Standing at the intersection of autism and animals, she offers unparalleled observations and groundbreaking ideas about both.

Autistic people can often think the way animals think -- in fact, Grandin and co-author Catherine Johnson see autism as a kind of way station on the road from animals to humans -- putting autistic people in the perfect position to translate "animal talk." Temple is a faithful guide into their world, exploring animal pain, fear, aggression, love, friendship, communication, learning, and, yes, even animal genius. Not only are animals much smarter than anyone ever imagined, in some cases animals are out-and-out brilliant.

The sweep of Animals in Translation is immense, merging an animal scientist's thirty years of study with her keen perceptions as a person with autism -- Temple sees what others cannot.

Among its provocative ideas, the book:



argues that language is not a requirement for consciousness -- and that animals do have consciousness

applies the autism theory of "hyper-specificity" to animals, showing that animals and autistic people are so sensitive to detail that they "can't see the forest for the trees" -- a talent as well as a "deficit"

explores the "interpreter" in the normal human brain that filters out detail, leaving people blind to much of the reality that surrounds them -- a reality animals and autistic people see, sometimes all too clearly

explains how animals have "superhuman" skills: animals have animal genius

compares animals to autistic savants, declaring that animals may in fact be autistic savants, with special forms of genius that normal people do not possess and sometimes cannot even see

examines how humans and animals use their emotions to think, to decide, and even to predict the future

reveals the remarkable abilities of handicapped people and animals

maintains that the single worst thing you can do to an animal is to make it feel afraid

Temple Grandin is like no other author on the subject of animals because of her training and because of her autism: understanding animals is in her blood and in her bones.
-------------------------------------------

I feel that anyone who has pets or farm animals or actually any animals of any type, would benefit from this book of Grandin's.

I, myself, have spent a few spare minutes at the Barnes and Noble coffee shop reading a bit of this book.

there was for me, a high level functioning adult autistic man, an eye opening
paragraph, in this here book!

Grandin found that, over the years, she has tried Vegetarianism, and found that
it was *worse* than "it did not help her"! After a terrible period of
low low functioning spacyness, she went back to eating meat.
She found that she has to eat MORE meat than the average person! She found, I believe, that this held true for many other autistic people! She becomes convinced that there very metabolism is affected, in Autism, so that meat eating is more important, in the diet.

I have found this too. I need a lot of meat, and when I eat a lot of red meat, my thinking is much more focused, and my mood is better, and the "negative" symptoms of autism are reduced.
I would now acually recommend that for all autistic people that this should be investigated: to eat a lot of meat, red meat, and other high protein foods.

This places me outside of the "new agers" thinkings, of course! But then again, I have to do this, like I have to do with most collective beliefs!

An animal lover who eats meat? One might think that Temple grandin would not touch meat, but then again the native Americans had a saying about how they give a prayer to Spirit, and to the animal that they are about to hunt, to give thanks for their brother who has to die so that other people can live on its flesh!

I, myself, in my dabblings with vegetarianism, I have always suffered for this diet, even if I do not eat meat for a couple of days! I need twice as much meat, maybe more, than the average person, I have found.

I remember 1970s Ithaca new York...On the same block was Moosewood restaurant, and around the block was a hometown cafe where the John Birchers would eat, the local chapter's people would come there often. I ate at Moosewood to feed my soul, but I would have to eat twice or three times, for each moosewood visit, at that cafe, so to feed my body!

I have a saying...."If feets no good, then do not even bother to set out of the house"! [gotta have good shoes!]
---my "feet", here, is my physical body that my soul "sits on". Is PART OF, as well.
thus if body is not right, the soul suffers!

one listens to the collective belief system, coming from the new agers, and even from the church, about the unimportance of the physical body form, and then place mind/soul over the body, in importance; then you place your health at risk, your very soul becoming crippled, in its growth, as the soul needs that Interface called "the body"!!

the best Quality Film, placed in a old battered cheap camera, with scratched lens and light leaks, will not produce very good pictures!